Disordered eating is used to describe a range of irregular eating behaviors that may or may not warrant a diagnosis of a specific eating disorder. Signs and symptoms of disordered eating may include, but are not limited to:
- Frequent dieting, anxiety associated with specific foods or meal skipping
- Chronic weight fluctuations
- Rigid rituals and routines surrounding food and exercise
- Feelings of guilt and shame associated with eating
- Preoccupation with food, weight and body image that negatively impacts quality of life
- A feeling of loss of control around food, including compulsive eating habits
- Using exercise, food restriction, fasting or purging to “make up for bad foods” consumed
- Emotional fulfillment in food
Why does this even matter in light of the Gospel? The Gospel collides with how we look at food, ourselves, and God himself. When we take a good thing and elevate it to a position only reserved for God, we have distorted God’s original design, including our relationship with food, our bodies, our minds, and our emotions.
I’m the first one to admit that when I am overwhelmed or stressed a good piece of pie can immediately reset the train that I am on. But the Gospel comes in and says, “Hey, ______ that situation that you are trying to avoid or that outcome you are trying to control or that status you are trying to achieve or that pain you are trying to quiet cannot be found in anything other than Jesus Christ and his rescuing work on the cross”. Satan wants to isolate you and make you believe as if you are the only one struggling with this. He wants to convince you that this issue isn’t as bad as someone else’s “bigger” issue and if they really knew you struggled here, they would discredit you. The good news is that you are not alone, this isn’t something to keep hidden, and you can find freedom in the Gospel.
The Gospel takes our brokenness and restores. If this is something you are carrying, please reach out to connect with our women by emailing email@example.com.
Jamie Ivey has a great interview about this if you want to watch it here: