Read Colossians 2:16-23
16 Therefore, don’t let anyone judge you in regard to food and drink or in the matter of a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day. 17 These are a shadow of what was to come; the substance is Christ. 18 Let no one condemn you by delighting in ascetic practices and the worship of angels, claiming access to a visionary realm. Such people are inflated by empty notions of their unspiritual mind. 19 He doesn’t hold on to the head, from whom the whole body, nourished and held together by its ligaments and tendons, grows with growth from God.
20 If you died with Christ to the elements of this world, why do you live as if you still belonged to the world? Why do you submit to regulations: 21 “Don’t handle, don’t taste, don’t touch”? 22 All these regulations refer to what is destined to perish by being used up; they are human commands and doctrines. 23 Although these have a reputation for wisdom by promoting self-made religion, false humility, and severe treatment of the body, they are not of any value in curbing self-indulgence.
- Yesterday we spent the day fasting and praying together as a church. One of the things we’re praying for is favor on our church in 2019 and beyond. Today’s passage teaches us that growth comes from God. As we walk forward in faith, let’s continue to pray that God would grow our church.
- This section of scripture teaches us not to submit to man-made religion in order to be righteous, but instead to cling to Christ. Are there any ways in which you’re trying to earn God’s love? Let go of those. Instead, ask God to help you keep your eyes on Christ.
- The greatest burden on your heart.
- One person who does not know Jesus Christ.
- God’s continued favor on our church as we move forward in 2019 and beyond.
- That you would know and love God more at the end of 2019 than ever before.